Strawberries. Blackberries. Blueberries. Raspberries.
Give me all the berries! (And Flowers!)
One thing we absolutely LOVE about the late Spring and Summer around here is the vast array of U-Pick fruit, berry, and flowers farms scattered throughout the area. We also love the endless recipes one can utilize after hands have been stained and clothes have been thrown in the washer (because kids picking berries = laundry). Don’t get me wrong, handfuls of berries straight from the bucket while still warm from the Summer sun are our absolute favorite way to enjoy them – so along with some local farm love for Summer U-Pick, we’ll be sharing some delicious recipes, too.
Featured Flower Farms
The Village Flower Farm
You’ll feel happy and refreshed when you pick your own flower bouquet at the Village Flower Farm in Yellow Springs. Owner Laura Skidmore will make you feel like a welcome friend from the minute you arrive. Laura provides everything you need, and she’ll explain how to choose the perfect flowers. The flower picking season starts in April with the most beautiful daffodils and tulips you’ve ever seen. You’ll love making your bouquet with sunflowers, lilies, zinnias, dahlias and more all Summer. Make your happy memories with this one-of-a-kind Yellow Springs experience from April to September.
Nestled on ten picturesque acres on the edge of Beavercreek & Xenia, Ohio, Frost Farmstead is the Dayton area’s premier U-Pick Flower Farm, offering over 200 varieties of fresh annual & perennial blooms, abundant wildflowers, and fragrant culinary herbs. Seasonally, late June through October, they invite you to come out Friday – Sunday 12-8pm to pick your own beautiful bouquets of local flowers, visit with the farm animals, and spend time relaxing in their spacious, gorgeous fields. Throughout their season, they feature Sunset Yoga series, Farm-to-Table Dinners, overnight retreats, and various artisanal workshops designed to encourage connection, self-care, and creativity. The farm is also home to luxury glamping yurts that can be rented for overnight and weekend stays. Come experience the magic of local blooms, friendly farm animals, and unforgettable experiences at Frost Farmstead.
Petals on the Pike
Petals on the Pike is a u-pick flower farm nestled quietly among country fields in NW Clark County, Ohio. They offer a pristine slice of floral heaven where you can get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life while creating your very own masterpiece. They grow over 50 varieties and hundreds of colors to fit any occasion. Doubling in size for 2022, they’ve added more spectacular dahlias and a dedicated sunflower patch to provide a continuous backdrop for amazing pictures and bouquets all Summer long!
They are open seasonally on select dates or by reservation from July-October as well as for private events among the flowers, such as bridal party u-pick, birthday parties, friends’ day out, team-building, youth groups, photoshoots, fundraisers, picnics, Girl Scout troops, and more.
Photo taken at Once In A Blue Moon Farm
If you’re a berry picking professional, or you’re scared to death of the process, here are some general guidelines we’ve found helpful when planning our U-pick berry adventure:
- FOLLOW the general U-Pick ‘rule of green thumb’ for berry availability
- U-Pick strawberries = Memorial Day through early June
- U-Pick blueberries = Mid-June through mid-July
- U-Pick black raspberries = Late June/early July
- CHECK with the farm before you arrive. Some change up their hours based on berry availability and many times farms rotate U-Pick days to give the patches a rest. Contacting the farm to make sure everything is a-ok for a visit is always a good idea. These are locally run farms, many by families, and random ‘things’ can come up. Check their website, FB page or IG account. Or just call ahead.
- PACK extra clothes, hand wipes, towels, and extra shoes. In other words – go prepared for mud, berry-licious stained hands, and kids with juices flowing from mouths. Unless you were hoping for tie-dyed car seats.
- CASH – Make sure you have cash and another form of payment (some farms take cash OR check only) and double check there isn’t an admission fee (most of them don’t, but you never know). Some farms are old school and ONLY take cash for the produce – so be prepared! Again, call and inquire if needed. Also, you pay per pound. So come with enough, especially if you plan to pick till you drop.
- BUCKETS – Bring your own. Easter baskets work great (the big plastic ones from the dollar store), or even large bowls. Most farms have carrying devices for you to use, but you may as well use what you have, then you know you have sufficient room in your car. If you have something with lids (Pyrex bowls, Tupperware), consider bringing those also. We always take our own and it works great.
Follow along and make notes, friends, as we present to you some local destinations to visit for U-Pick berries, in no particular order. Most of these farms have hours that depend on the weather, some vary through the Summer, some have U-Pick specific hours only, and others change frequently due to special events.
Check websites for most accurate hours throughout the summer months.
5474 N. State Route 48, Lebanon, Ohio
Berries: Blueberries, Gooseberries, Raspberries
Contact Information: (513) 932-1869
127 E. Krepps Road, Xenia, Ohio
Berries: Blueberries, Blackberries, Raspberries
Contact Information: (937) 374-8747
1640 Stubbs Mills Road, Lebanon
Berries: Blackberries, Blueberries, Strawberries
Contact Information:(513) 932-2853
8201 Frederick Pike, Dayton
Berries: Strawberries and Raspberries
Contact Information:(937) 890-4536
5427 W. Enon Road, Fairborn, O
Berries: Red Raspberries, Yellow Raspberries, and Blackberries
Contact Information: (937) 864-1279
2931 US Route 68 S, Xenia.
Contact Information: (937) 376-1778
3984 E. Social Row Rd ,Waynesville
Contact Information: (937) 586-8749
Have a favorite berry U-Pick farm you visit? A favorite berry recipe you find yourself making over and over? Please share!
NOW – what to do with all of those delicious berries?
Here are some of our favorite recipes. Some are easy-peasy and some take more leg work – but in the end, all are delicious!
- The Best Homemade Blueberry Muffin Recipe
Easy and straight forward!
You could use ANY berry in this recipe.
- Easy No Bake Strawberry Dessert
3 ingredients; use any berry!
- Blackberry Oatmeal Cookies
Unique and delish!
You could use any berries (+ there are white chocolate chips in this recipe. Yummo!)
- Berry Swirl Frozen Yogurt Bark
Perfect for ANY and EVERY berry, as well as for the hot summer months.
- Weight Watchers Berry Cobbler
Unique ingredients and easy.
- Blackberry Cheesecake with Ginger Cinnamon Crust
Gluten free and low carb.
- Mixed Berry Jam
Because we had to share a jam recipe.
LOOKING FOR SOME OTHER SIMPLE SUMMER RECIPES, CLICK HERE!
While we know a few berry locations may have been missed, and we definitely know there are a bajillion berry recipes to explore, we wanted to provide you with a simple guide to kick off the glorious season of those little beads of juicy heaven.
Have a favorite Summer U-Pick farm you visit? A favorite berry recipe you find yourself making over and over? Please share!